There’s a twist to these weekly posts. I’ll still ‘weigh in’ but I’ll also share a zero waste changes with you, so you can get on board if something seems easy enough! This week, it’s coffee cups.
My bf loves a coffee, and you don’t need to twist my arm too hard to get one either! However, as I’ve mentioned before, even if all the parts of the take away cups are recyclable, there’s one better. A totally reusable cup! I’m pleased I’m moving away from this:
I can 95% recommend Keep Cup. (the other 5% is that the bottom of the cup is shaped a little like a wine bottle indent, making it an incy bit harder to clean than I’d like). Let me just say, I’ve not tried any alternatives, but I like that it’s light (being made of the big bad wolf, plastic), and it’s got a great lid that seals. A used cup in my bag’s not spilt it’s last drops into the protective zip lock bag, so maybe I don’t need to worry as much? And that one you see above, that’s for my bf! Yes, he duly noted it matched most everything in my life/house (check out the house tour if you want to see more), but that was strategic in case he rejects my generosity, I’ll have a lovely new cup!
The best thing is, there’s different sizes too! See I thought mine was big, but bf’s is *HUGE* (and there’ll be no complaints there!)
I can’t help but share the cute, 100% recyclable packaging either:
And if all just seems too hard, this was a great thing I found when I was image hunting
Now for my usual weigh in (for past week’s posts, head to my Zero Waste page)
This week something sad happened right before weigh in.
I opened the dishwasher and a precariously placed Pyrex bowl fell out and smashed. Sad sad face. That stuff isn’t recyclable, so it had to be trashed. So I have a ‘pre’ weigh in at 95g – a mere 6g increase on last week’s adjusted total. Last week, I reported in at 112g, but adjusted down to 89g – see why
And a radically heavier weigh in at 607g (518g adjusted – making 512g a pyrex bowl and the associated vacuum fluff and glass shards)
I’ll miss my smaller pyrex bowl and might try to find an op shop replacement. Otherwise I’ll be back to the outlet nearby for a new one.
Do you drink take away hot beverages?