My original post from 2013 has seen me really work through getting the things I want to do, DONE! So I’ve also updated my ‘completed Bucket list post‘ So I have decided to republish and deleted some things that no longer seemed like things I wanted to do or buy or achieve.
I ended up with eight big things, 22 travel related things, and 11 ‘experiences’ – 41 in total. It’s a shorter list than I expected if I’m honest – perhaps I need to find more things to add.
And I did – I updated this post in late May to add another 22 items, a few of which I just did on my recent trip to Europe. As always, I’d welcome suggestions!
The BIG stuff (8)
Live in NYC
Get married (before the children)
Have children (thinking 3)
A home with a passionfruit vine, a frangipani tree, a magnolia grandiflora… and a vegie patch.
Pay off my mortgage (currently about $250k to go)
Fully fund my retirement
Write my will
Prepay and plan my funeral
Visit every continent (Completed: Australia, Asia, Europe, Middle East – need South America & Antarctica)
Visit Cambodia – 2018
Visit The Maldives – 2018
Visit Iceland – 2017 – 8 posts!
travel experiences (
1. Go to Carnival in Rio de Janeiro (could do it with the bro in 2014, but alas, I realise I don’t love crowds and big parties, so maybe another time)
2. See Machu Picchu (to think my brother just did this Jan 2014!)
3. See Aurora Borealis
4. Visit tulip fields | The Netherlands (April) – 2017
5. Stay in Igloo Village & maybe tick off #3
6. Stay in a tree house (in Europe)
7. Visit Oradour-sur-Glane, France – a town annihilated by Germans by torching – 2017
8. Go to the super bowl (early Feb)
9. Go to Burning Man, Black Rock desert, Nevada USA (late Aug/early Sept)
10. Go to (the original) Mardi Gras | New Orleans (mid Feb)
11. Spend Christmas or Thanksgiving | US
12. Fly FIRST class – maybe Emirates where I can shower?
13. Go on a ‘big boat’ style cruise (maybe in retirement)
14. Walk on a Glacier
15. Marvel at Plitvice Lakes | Croatia
16. Watch the Sunset in Santorini | Greece
17. Soak in the Blue Lagoon | Iceland
18. Let Go of a Floating Lantern | Thailand
19. Soak in Pamukkale Hot Springs | Turkey
1. Learn the name and location of all the countries in Africa – 2017
2. Get my palm read/fortune told – 2018
3. Watch a movie at a drive in (if they still exist!) – 2017
4. Swim with dolphins in NATURE (not in Dubai…:s)
5. Go to a silent retreat
6. Get body painted for an event
7. Go caving – 2017 and second time in Iceland
8. Be part of a flash mob (thanks Moonwave for the tip!)
9. Build a bonfire and make S’mores
10. Try kite surfing
11. Try a pottery wheel – 2018
12. Attend a masquerade ball
13. Pick fruit from a tree & make a pie
14. Stomp grapes
15. Start a fire without matches
16. Use a paddle to bid at an auction
17. Waterski – barefoot and normally!
18. Go snowshoeing
19. Mud wrestle
20. Take a SoulCycle Class
21. Fly in a blimp – not sure this is even possible
22. Ride a unicycle
23. Toboggan – likely with the Northern Lights
24. Sleep in a Capsule Hotel
And there’s at least
seven ten I’m targeting to achieve THIS year!
What’s on your bucket list?