So… I’m getting myself all a tither with another blogger in the blogosphere – and there’s no way I can whinge without you knowing who it is. I’m hoping I can be an adult, and rationalise it all, and work through it, so here’s hoping!
Bea Johnson runs zerowastehome.com Overall, I’m totally on board with lessening the waste we create and using less of the world’s resources. So why do I find myself losing my patience with her?
1. To get to zero waste, and the slick look of her house (which I won’t insert photos of, cause I need to ask for permission, so head to her site, surely a LOT of stuff had to be donated – not refused, not reused, but recycled. Perhaps I got on board with her movement too late?
2. I can’t ‘search’ her blog to find the ‘start’ of the journey (or what she does with a certain hiccup in my route to zerowaste). There is a tag cloud, but no ‘in the beginning ..’ Which brings me to the next point:
3. The answer to a lot of questions on her facebook stream is to suggest the topic is covered in the book. Now, to me, selling a book isn’t a wastefree proposition. To be sure, like any other book, I’ll be borrowing it from the library. (And I know that won’t earn her any commission as much as if I bought it AND the library did, but I’m not feeling charitable here!)
4. What compromises has she had to make to get to zero waste? Has she plainly done without certain foods or products – to support her number 1 objective of zero waste?
5. Comments are closed on old posts – this frustrated me. When I find a post with something relevant, I’d like to ask something – rather than starting a fresh comment on her Facebook page (where the lack of ‘string’ to a blog topic being better suited).